June 2015 Zambian Inflation Climbs To 7.1 %

Zambia’s June 2015 Zambian inflation rate increased from 5.90 per cent recorded in May 2015 to 7.1 per cent in June 2015.

On 25 June 2015, Mr John Kalumbi the Director of Census and Statistics said the increase was due to increases in non-food items such as diesel, kerosene and petrol and house rentals.

The annual rate of inflation for food and non-alcoholic beverages was 3.7% and that for non-food products was 3.4%, thereby in total amounting to June 2015 Zambian inflation rate of 7.1 per cent.

From June 2014 to June 2015, the annual rate of inflation increased for clothing and footwear, housing, water, electricity, transport, recreation and culture. However, the annual rate reduced for food and non-alcoholic beverages; furnishing, household equipment. Routine household maintenance; health; Communication; restaurant and hotel and miscellaneous goods and services.

June 2015 Zambian Inflation

Annual Inflation Rates For Provinces

Increases in the annual rate of inflation in June 2015 were recorded in Central, Copperbelt, Lusaka, Northern, Muchinga and North Western provinces, whereas Eastern, Luapula, Southern and Western provinces recorded decreases in the annual rate of inflation.

The highest rate was recorded in North-western province at 9.4% and the lowest in Western province, at 5.5%.

Provincial Contribution To The Overall Inflation

The provincial contribution to the overall Inflation was as follows:

  • Central -   0.7                   
  • Copperbelt -  1.4
  • Eastern - 0.6
  • Luapula  - 0.3
  • Lusaka - 2.4
  • Northern/Muchinga - 0.5
  • North-Western - 0.3
  • Southern - 0.7
  • Western - 0.2

Total                  -        7.1 %

National Average Prices For Selected Product

A comparison of retail prices between May, 2015 and June 2015 were as follows:

  • 25 kg bag of breakfast mealie-meal from – K 69.35 to K 69.18
  • 25 Kg bag of roller meal – from K 51.96 to K 51.78
  • 20 litre tin of maize grain – from K 29.85 to K 28.27
  • 1 Litre of Diesel – from K 6.62 to K 7.62
  • 1 Litre of petrol – from K 7.63 to K 8.76

May 2015 Zambia Trade Deficit of K 1,193.3 Million

The country recorded an increment of the trade deficit from K 717.7 million in April 2015 to K 1,193.3 million in May 2015.

The trade deficit for May 2015 was so far highest in 2015. The lowest was recorded in January 2015, which was valued at K 66.2 million.  

Zambia’s Major Export Destinations By Commodity In May 2015

The major export destinations by commodity were as follows:

  • Switzerland, accounting for 46.2 per cent. 
  • China, accounting for 14.1 per cent. 
  • Congo DR , accounting for 8.2 per cent
  • Singapore, accounting for 7.1 per cent. 
  • South Africa, accounting for 6.3 per cent

These five countries accounted for 81.9 per cent of Zambia’s total export earnings in the month of May 2015.

Great Articles You Might Have Missed!

Check Availability of Accommodation And Rates Below


New! Comments

Have your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.

Recent Posts

  1. An International Home Based Business in Over 190 Countries, Including Zambia!

    An international home based business with SFI (Strong Future International), the number 1 in the top 10 affiliate programs in the world!

    Read More

  2. Chaminuka Lodge - Designed In The Style of A Zambian Village

    Chaminuka Lodge offers luxurious accommodation, spectacular views over Lake Chitoka where you can behold the most glorious sunsets of Africa.

    Read More

  3. Thorntree River Lodge

    Thorntree River Lodge offers excellent game viewing opportunities and adventure activities. The lodge is located inside the Mosi-Oa-Tunya National Park.

    Read More

June 2015 Zambian Inflation To Zambian Inflation

June 2015 Zambian Inflation To Zambia Advisor Home