What is the best way to give yourself a break from your hectic schedule? Have a Zambian vacation! Every one of us needs a vacation from time to time. But the question is where do you take that vacation?
Zambia has it all: Game viewing, birding safaris, walking safaris, elephant safaris, canoeing safaris, white water rafting.
The country is so underexplored that most tourists herd to the same well known places like the Victoria Falls, (one of the world’s seven wonders), south Luangwa national park and the Kafue national park.
The people are never short of smiles and that typical Zambian warmth. You are welcome indeed! Below are a quick look at places and activities that make a Zambian vacation exceptional.
a. Elephant Back Safaris
A ride on the back of an elephant will give you an unforgettable experience. Enjoy Zambia's spectacular wilderness!
The country offers great opportunities for fishing in the Zambezi river (Lower Zambezi), Kafue river (Kafue National Park) or Lake Kariba.
c. Birding Safaris
In Zambia, birding is mostly done in two bird sanctuaries; the Bangweulu wetlands and Lochinvar National Park (Kafue flats). Fruit bats migration in Kasanka National Park is also an annual event.
d. Walking Safaris
Walking safaris were pioneered by Norman Carr during the 50’s in the Luangwa valley. A walking safari gives you a chance of coming close to Lions, herds of elephants, buffalos, hippos and many more in their natural habitat.
e. Canoeing Safaris
Canoeing Safaris in Lower Zambezi takes you down remote channels in this magnificent river.
From the comfort of your canoe, elephant, zebra, puku, impala, kudu, waterbuck, baboons, buffalo, crocodiles and Hippos can always be sighted.
1. David Livingstone memorial was erected at Chitambo village in 1902 in honour of the Scottish missionary by Owen Stroud. David Livingstone died at Chitambo village aged 60 on 1st May 1873.
2. The Dag Hammarskjöld memorial has was erected near Ndola at a place where the Swedish diplomat, Dag Hammarskjöld, secretary general of the United Nations, crushed during a peace mission to Congo D.R (Former Zaire).
Zambia has some of the biggest and best game parks in the world. About 30 percent of Zambia’s land is allocated to National Parks. This simply means you don’t have to go far to see wild life in its natural habitat.
1. Kafue National Park; It's the oldest and the largest of Zambia's national parks. It is one of the best known game sanctuaries in Zambia. The Kafue National Park covers an area of 22,400 sq km of abundant nature and compared to other parks in the country it has relatively few visitors.
2. South Luangwa National Park; Set in the Luangwa valley, it has the highest concentration of animals in Africa, from the smallest to the biggest.
South Luangwa has about 60 animal species and over 400 bird species. This is home of the big five; elephant, rhino, leopard, lion and giraffe. It is worth paying a visit and fond memories are guaranteed.
1. Opened in 1991, the Henry Tayali Visual Arts Centre is the headquarters of the Zambia National Visual Arts Council (ZNVAC). It is the largest gallery in Lusaka with collections of authentic and contemporary art works by Zambians.
On average, the centre has a minimum of 10 exhibitions a year. The Henry Tayali Visual Arts Centre is located on lion lane within the show grounds. It’s open from 08:00hrs to 17:00hrs during weekdays and from 10:00hrs to 16:30hrs on weekends.
2. Zintu Handicrafts, also located in Lusaka, stocks all sorts of traditional art crafts and curios from craftsmen in all parts of Zambia.
PS - You Can Book For Accommodation In Zambia Or In One of Over 70 Countries In The World. Book Now Below!
You want to get away from the hustle and bustle of town life? Try Mubende Country Lodge, near Luanshya town. Situated at exactly 11 kilometres from Luanshya town, the lodge is truly a beauty.
The Levy Business Park, named after third president of the Republic of Zambia Levy Mwanawasa is dubbed as the "latest jewel".
The Golden Pillow Lodge, found in Southern Province has three branches; in Mazabuka, Monze and Choma.
Zambian Vacation > Economy of Zambia