February 2008 Zambian Inflation rate - up again to 9.5 percent
The February 2008 Zambian inflation rate increased to 9.5 percent from 9.3 percent recorded in January 2008.
Annual Inflation Rates for Main Groups
From January 2008 to February 2008, the annual inflation rates increased for medical care, recreation and education, food,
beverages and tobacco, other goods and services.
The February 2008 Zambian inflation rates declined for clothing and
footwear, rent and household energy, furniture and household goods, transport and communication main groups.
Contribution of different items to overall inflation
Of the total 9.5 percent annual inflation in February 2008, food products accounted for 4.5 percentage points while non-food
products accounted for 5.0 percentage points.
Annual food inflation 9.1 percent
The annual food inflation rate in February 2008 was recorded at 9.1 percent. The January 2008 was recorded at 6.9 percent.
The main contributors were increases in cost of maize meal, maize grain, other cereals and cereal products, meat, kapenta,
fish, fresh vegetables, beans, shelled ground nuts, fresh fruits, milk and milk products, eggs, oils and fats, and other
processed food products.
Annual Non-food inflation 10.0 percent
The annual non-food inflation rate went down to 10.0 percent from 11.7 percent recorded in January 2008.
Some main selected products in February 2008
A comparison of retail prices between January 2008 and February 2008 showed the following:
- The price of a 20 liter tin of maize grain increased by 2.9 percent from K 17,575 to K 18,083.
- The price of a 25 kg bag of roller meal increased by 2.6 percent, from K 30,800 to K 31,603.
- The price of 1 kg of dried kapenta (Mpulungu) increased by 13.1 percent.
- The price of 1 kg of tomatoes increased by 31.1 percent.
January 2008 Trade Deficit
The month of January 2008 saw the country recording a Trade Deficit valued at K 155.0 billion. This means that the country
exported less in January 2008 than it imported in value terms.
Major export destinations In January 2008
The seven major destinations of Zambias exports were the following:
Switzerland 31.1 percent
China 21.1 percent
South Africa 12.7 percent
Egypt 7.5 percent
Saudi Arabia 5.3 percent
Republic of Thailand 5.1 percent
Democratic Republic of Congo 3.5 percent
Major Exports in January 2008
The four major exports which accounted for 90.1 percent of Zambias export earnings were as follows:
- Copper and articles thereof accounted for 73.0 percent of total export earnings.
- Base metals such as cobalt which are copper related accounted for 8.5 percent of total export earnings.
- Ores, slag and ash accounted for 6.3 percent of total export earnings.
- Cereals accounted for 2.3 percent of total export earnings.
February 2008 Zambian Inflation To Economy Of Zambia
Roan Mall is a new shopping Mall in Luanshya town. The Luanshya Shopping Mall was opened on 29 June 2017.
Most people who live in kafue town work in Lusaka. The town is only 44 kilometres from Lusaka.
At Chita Lodge in Kafue town you will enjoy your vacation or business outing in magnificent surroundings!
February 2008 Zambia Inflation To Zambia Advisor Home